Thursday 13 November 2014

My Lino cut Christmas Card......

Here we have the limited edition lino cut christmas card, I have just listed them in my etsy shop now if you fancy taking a closer peep. ( My etsy shop is in the side bar )

But...


I thought it would be nice...........


to show you the process, just in case you fancied making your own cards this Christmas :)

( Also look above, you get to see a glimpse of my cute ancient spoon rack ! )



Well first things first, draw your design on your lino with a fine marker pen,


Then begin to carve out your design, using the larger carving heads first.....


Then later changing to the finer heads, to refine the detail a little.


I like to hold mine up to the light, or on a light box if you have one, if not use your lap top screen---that way you can get a better idea of what your print will print out like...



Now for the messy bit, use a roller, to evenly spread your ink, I like a red base, but you can do what ever you wish..


Then I use a smoothing out tool, but the base of a clean cup would do just fine, and I rub it all around, to make sure that the print is even.


Then you have something like these....then I hang them up till dry.


Then the  next day , I like to hand paint the rest of the colours in, as I like the depth that this gives the picture and I think it then makes all the cards, each a tiny bit unique.


This all does take time--but there is no rush, allow yourself a couple of days for the carving, I found myself constantly refining it and then putting it away, so that I could look at it the next day with fresh eyes.

I hope you have enjoyed this post, with christmas approaching I am going to make my blog especially helpful. Tommorrow I will show you how I make my mince pies and freeze them, I make them with a crumble and sliced almond topping--so watch this space...

Heres to a stress free Christmas !

x x x

4 comments:

Debra said...

Oh this is absolutely wonderful!!!!I love the design so much, and I love the idea of hand painting some of it. I used to do so much printing, even silk screening-I miss it. You've inspired me to do more lino cuts!!!

Deborah Darling said...

Thats great news Debra, I really enjoyed it too. I think its good to make time for a bit of printing, as its easy to forget it, isnt it. I made a nice lino printing block in summer to print on my bags :) xxx

Valerie H. said...

One thing I love about you Deborah is that you don't let the stresses of each day keep you from creating. That's inspiring to me because I know I need to cut more time out for my projects. I love your lino print block for your Christmas card. So adorable. Great in the red and with the different colors. I remember making one of theses in school. So much fun! Thanks for sharing! Now I'm thinking of a design to use. :-D xoxo

Deborah Darling said...

Bless you for your kind words Valerie :) I do creative things every day--today we have had no water at all as a main burst in the village, we still dont have any, so although things are looking ugly in the kitchen, I am rather good at closing the door :))) I have some new little furry friends to add to etsy soon, and those mince pies are being done tommorrow and being popped in the freezer--even if I have to wash dishes in the stream ! lol . There are some good starter kits on ebay if anyone is wanting to give it a go, I cant wait to see everyone elses designs ! :) xxx