Wednesday 28 August 2013

Melbourne Hall and Gardens.............

We had a nice day out in the village the other day, it began with us being greeted by a young swan on the lake at Melbourne Hall........


We then ventured into the historic gardens, heres the little tower by the garden gate, wouldnt it make a lovely studio !


From there, we strolled along the tree lined path and walled gardens...


We were first met by one of the small circular ponds and cherubic fountain......


There are lots of amazing cherubs dotted about, all up to mischief....




A beautiful Lady too, perhaps she is Helen of Troy .........


The cage, famous aviary from the 16th century has always been my most favourite thing there, and every time I see it, I love it just a little bit more.....




What a feat of artistry and blacksmithery  it truly is, a most gorgeous and splendid thing !


I love the roof especially, it really is a thing of great beauty.




and as we look out from it we can see the enigmatic Melbourne Hall itself...


We even saw Perseus holding aloft Medusa's head ! Eeeek !


The trees and yew tree hedges are interesting too, the tress are often spiraling like this one.


a quick kiss !


and another piece of tall green :)


We also spotted this one single cloud in the sky---its very tempting to give him a face isnt it ;)


There is a series of circular ponds with fountains.....


Here two of my precious little ones sit in one of the ancient sheltered seats, with lovely peely paint.


Oh yes, Mr Finn takes it all in his stride........


Lots of ornate urn type of things, we were not sure whether they were for favourite pets and horses, as some had names like Myrtle, which I especially like :)




I like the naughty looking monkeys that support the base of this .....


Even the worn out faces are the most pleasing........


Dottie -May strolls ahead.....


Beautiful Dottie-May and the wonderous peely paint....


There arent many flowers here, it is an ornamental garden of greenery, but there are a few well packed borders.


I like cosmos, it is a busy plant, lots to do and say.......


There are interesting inlets of water that lead to the main lake in melbourne, but these inlets are laiden with fresh water oysters !!


It was very hard to resist wading in and collecting them !


But I think the cherubs would of sounded the alarm :)


There is also an orginal little fairy grotto, that is very delightful.




And the tiniest orchids I have ever seen in my life, the size of a 5 pence piece or a 5 cent piece .


 We walked beneath the ancient yew tree hedges, what a treat  !



We also smelt the most heavenly scented of roses , scrambling up the walls........



The gardener told me that the billowing yew tree hedges and spiralling trees are only this way, because  when war broke out, the men went to war and everything grew out of control, originally they were straight as a dart.


All in all its a lovely place to visit, so do go if you get the chance, and its free to members of the royal horticultural society, and to visitors to the Melbourne Arts Festival .



4 comments:

the woolly dog said...

What an amazing collection of photos, it's like you've taken us with you. It's unlikely I'll ever be able to visit here but I don't feel I've missed anything after this post. xx

Martha said...

I enjoyed your visit. It is a very pretty place. I wish my yard had even a very little of it's beauty.

Enchanted Blue Planet said...

A delightful photo tour of your magical day out! This is the old England of fantasy that I prefer. Your children are the sweetest flowers of all.

Deborah Darling said...

Bless you all, I am so glad you all enjoyed it , I was worried that the post was too large , but felt the images were too lovely not to share with you all. Also I found out that the tiny orchid , i spotted, you can buy online, its called a toad lily and I really must get some--if any of you lovely ladies cant find it, I will happily send some out to you--it really is the most exquisite thing I have seen, and it spreads nicely too ! xxx