Friday 19 July 2013

The most rewarding thing of all................ the little people

During my career in art I have done many things and climbed various ladders, but nothing has been anyway near as rewarding as teaching a class of children in a Derbyshire school recently.


The children were of mixed abilities and I was particularly impressed with the children, with learning difficulties. Their work was very impressive, also the different approaches and teaching techniques for each individual child I really enjoyed very much.

Those of you who know me personally will know that I home educate my children, but am very fond of the Steiner approach to education, however this particular school, in Derbyshire is a real  gem of a school and a credit to the system. A team of wonderful caring staff, helping all the children, every step of the way.

Above you can see the children all working hard and my lovely assistant Andri. The aim was to help the children create an articulated character for them to animate, with stop motion photography.

Firstly I began with encouraging the children to draw their chosen character, then we moved on to creating a paper pattern, then an armature from pipe cleaners and wrapping it with newspaper, till desired depth, then stitching fabric over the top.

Here is a charming design below..


I love the free and expressive way children just get on with it, no fussing, pure creative energy.


and here we have the teachers pet, holding his pet :) , prior to the sewing.


I wish to thank all the staff and the children at that school for giving me so much joy and inspiration, its the most wonderful thing I have ever done and I look very forward to working with them again, in the near future, thank you all from the bottom of my heart    
X X X

5 comments:

KarynRuby Designs said...

AWESOME♥

the woolly dog said...

It's such a rewarding thing to do because both you and the children get so much out of it, you're very lucky to have had the opportunity x

I really like the doll at the top of your blog it's been on a post of yours somewhere I'm sure because I wondered how old it was and how crackle was achieved?

Mrs H.H said...

What a lovely class, and their designs, so free. Great to see their designs being made into something real.

Deborah Darling said...

thank you Kathy xxx

Yes woolly dog, I am very lucky to be able to work with children during my artistic journey. As to the crackle, I find using a reactor, I use petroleum jelly, between paint layers gives a great crackle. Sorry for missing your post earlier xxx

and yes its so wonderful to see children at work with their art, its an inspiration to us all to not set such controlling targets for ourselves and to just create,I hope you all have a creative and free week ahead of you xxxxxxx

Deborah Darling said...

Thanks Karyn xxxxxx